Resisting Mateo by Sam Mariano
Series: Morelli Family #5
Also in this series: Accidental Witness, Surviving Mateo, Once Burned
Published by Self-published on July 27th 2017
Buy on Amazon
If you dance with the devil,
don't be surprised when all Hell breaks loose.
BOOK FIVE in the Morelli Family series. MUST be read in order! Or a unicorn dies. (Seriously, you do not want to start with this book. It'll be kookydooks.)
Adult content, recommended for readers 18+
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Wow! Mateo is back 🙂
Mateo Morelli is a man of his word. Push him, test him and then repent at your leisure. Complex and borderline crazy, compassionate and cruel yet the loyalty he commands is never questioned. Well, almost and we find out early in the story who it will be that decides to cross his line. This is a spoiler free review as usual. The Morelli Family Series must be read in order because Resisting Mateo is not a standalone book.
I refrained from sharing my emotional responses to the plot twists, desperate to share my emotions via a progress update on Goodreads. I don’t want other readers to know when I held my breath so I’ll simply acknowledge it happened several times.
While I didn’t sob reading this book, there were many times where my throat tightened and my heart raced. Alright, I’ll confess, I choked up a bit because you’d have to be a hard b!tch not to! The overarching story-line is based on brutality and pushing boundaries. Whether I was wading through the impossible or the sweet, never did I encounter one ounce of mundane. Life with the Morelli family is never boring. For a man who demands his family follow traditions, he is far from a traditional man.
Thankfully Resisting Mateo ends in a HFN (IMHO) with the promise of more to come. The Morelli mansion is now primed beyond imagination for countless possibilities for the next book. Triggers abound within this book. It’s neither for the squeamish nor the sentimental who worry about a headcount at the end of a book. Defying Mateo is never pretty, safe nor recommended. Resisting Mateo isn’t an option.
What I loved:
- Great one liners
- Learning new terms such as Mobbed Out and Speakeasy (thank you for search option on Kindle for the last one!)
- The idea of the girls compiling a Morelli 101 help guide!
What I loved not so much:
- No Scrabble games this time
- Summoning Mateo (scary stuff)
5 Irresistible Mateo Stars
- Captivated by Bethany-Kris - July 9, 2018
- Wish You Were Here by Sarah Osborne - July 4, 2018
- Best of June 2018 - July 2, 2018
- Cutting Edge by CD Reiss - June 25, 2018
- Tethered Souls: A Nine Minutes Spin-Off Novel by Beth Flynn - June 20, 2018
- On The Edge by CD Reiss - June 18, 2018
- Review, Excerpt & Giveaway: Acquainted by London Miller - June 18, 2018
- Fight by Susan Fanetti - June 16, 2018
- Verona Blood by Lili St. Germain - June 10, 2018
- Dirty Exes by Rachel Van Dyken - June 8, 2018