Hunting Her by Kelly Lucille
Series: Keeping Her #6
Also in this series: At One's Pleasure, Keeping Her, Marrying Her
Published by KLM Publishing on May 23rd 2016
Buy on Amazon
Logan McCord is a highly trained and battle honed warrior. On a mission to rescue one of his pack, he runs into the one thing his training didn't prepare him for... his mate. And she's got some training of her own.
Xena Yazzie has a job to complete, and finding her mate in the middle of it is problematic at best, even if he is a hot cowboy who wears combat gear like a wet dream. But if there's one thing this coyote shifter knows how to do, it's keep people at a distance. She just never counted on a tall rangy x- Navy SEAL wolf-shifter who talks slow, moves fast, and specializes in finding people who don't want to be found.
This is the sixth book in the Keeping Her series, expect humor, a sexy bad ass Alpha shifter staking his claim, and a high heat index even before you get to the parts with the explicit sex. It can be read as a stand alone but is more enjoyable with the rest of the series read in order.
I love it when a new Kelly Lucille book releases. I just know I’m in for lots of smiles, laughter, and all kinds of action. Hunting Her was exactly what I expected and then some.
Logan found his mate at the end of Cleo and Shawn’s book, but then she got away from him, hence the title, Hunting Her. The book opens with Logan finally finding her but she’s smack in the middle of an elaborate undercover operation. Picture a fancy party, bad guys galore, and our heroine dressed to distract in a sexy dress. She even had a side-kick teammate chatting to her through a hidden earpiece. I kept expecting (well wanting really) Logan and Xena to break out into a sexy hot Tango, a la Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis in the True Lies movie.
During the operation Logan crashed, it is revealed that someone wants Xena dead, and everything is pointing to the threat coming from the worst place possible. This not only puts Xena in danger but may have repercussions against the Lionsgate Pack too. The whole scenario was like a walk through a minefield with the possibility of every step taken ending in disaster.
Logan is alpha, bossy, and controlling by nature and I loved that fate gave him Xena as a mate. Not only did he have to hunt her down, once he found her he had to figure out how to keep her alive and keep her from running again. I loved how he still protected her but in a way that let her be who she was meant to be and do what she needed to do.
Xena was determined to make her own choices and not let something as important as a mate be determined by chemistry. She refused to let the whole mate thing keep her from the problem at hand– staying alive long enough to figure out who wants her dead. Her intelligence, fighting abilities, and the whole cat burglar thing she had going on had me thinking if I ever decide to grow up, I want to be like Xena.
Along with Xena and Logan (and all the hot chemistry they had together) we got the Lionsgate Pack and all their craziness. You just can’t beat that pack for comic relief. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Eli since he’s the only unmated adult left.
What I Struggled With:
- I wanted to know about Xena’s time with her coyote family.
- No real backstory on Logan. I still loved him but wanted more.
- The possibility of repercussions from the powerful relative of the culprit was never really addressed.
What I Loved:
- Xena. The alpha males didn’t know what to do with a little coyote shifter who could probably take them in a fight.
- Logan. His willingness to compromise his protective instincts to let her do what she needed to do.
- The close-knit family that the Lionsgate Pack has become, no matter that they aren’t all the same species.
Spice’s Rating: 4.5 Shifter Happy Place Stars
- Unhuman Light by Chris Stoneheart - February 28, 2019
- Collide by Megan O’Brien - February 22, 2019
- Crave by Megan O’Brien - February 15, 2019
- Stoned by Layla Frost - February 11, 2019
- Free by Kristen Ashley - February 10, 2019
- Dark Alpha’s Awakening by Donna Grant - February 5, 2019
- Vengeance Road by Christine Feehan - January 30, 2019
- Covert Games by Katie Reus - January 21, 2019
- Claiming The Enemy: Dustin by Jamie Begley - January 18, 2019
- Edgy’s Top Ten of 2018 - January 6, 2019