One Pink Rose by Julie Garwood
Series: Clayborne Brides #1
Published by Simon & Schuster Digital on May 9, 2016
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Buy on Apple Itunes
Travis Clayborne may be the youngest of the Clayborne brothers, but he’s most definitely his own man—unless it means saying no to his beloved Mama Rose. And that’s why Travis is escorting young Bostonian Emily Finnegan to Golden Crest, Montana to her new home as a mail-order bride. Emily has made it perfectly clear that she’s taken charge of her destiny and nothing is going to interfere, not even falling in love with a perfect stranger. But they don’t call it the wild west for nothing…
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
This is my second Julie Garwood book and I found the same amusing charm and wit I enjoyed in The Gift as I did in One Pink Rose. One Pink Rose is a sweet short story that took me a lot longer to read than I originally imagined. With the story focused on Travis escorting Miss Emily to meet the man she agreed to marry, it became a drawn out affair as they traveled on horseback for days…
My first thoughts of the story reminded me of a quaint black and white television movie, the kind you may have watched on a Saturday afternoon. The light-hearted humour lifted the serious determination of Travis and Emily’s quest to follow through on the mission they had both agreed to. All good, except I kept being distracted by other books I was hearing about and that made this story feel like it was going on forever!
Then I hit the 70% mark and boy did the story pick up. No longer distracted by other bright new shiny books with the action now in full swing, the characters had taken on a familiarity strengthening the intensity of the story. Now I was glad I stuck to my guns and kept going when I was tempted to pick up something else because I read the final chapters with a smile and the occasional chuckle.
What I struggled with:
• The long interlude building up to the action
• The action was over before you knew it
What I loved:
• One-eyed Jack, I want to hear his story…definitely a misunderstood man IMO
• Milly, what a wonderful friend!
• Emily’s well thought out arguments and Travis’s equally thought out rebuttals!
Lily’s Rating: 3.5 Stars
- Deal with the Devil by Kit Rocha - August 14, 2020
- Thunder by Susan Fanetti - May 15, 2020
- Pink by Bethany-Kris - May 8, 2020
- Scarlet Stone by Jewel E. Ann - May 1, 2020
- A Place Without You by Jewel E. Ann - April 23, 2020
- The Priest: An Original Sinners Novel by Tiffany Reisz - April 19, 2020
- Love Hard by Nalini Singh - March 10, 2020
- Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath - March 3, 2020
- The Weight of it All by N.R. Walker - February 19, 2020
- The Life That Mattered by Jewel E Ann - February 14, 2020