One Pink Rose by Julie Garwood
Series: Clayborne Brides #1
on May 9, 2016
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Buy on Apple Itunes
Travis Clayborne may be the youngest of the Clayborne brothers, but he’s most definitely his own man—unless it means saying no to his beloved Mama Rose. And that’s why Travis is escorting young Bostonian Emily Finnegan to Golden Crest, Montana to her new home as a mail-order bride. Emily has made it perfectly clear that she’s taken charge of her destiny and nothing is going to interfere, not even falling in love with a perfect stranger. But they don’t call it the wild west for nothing…
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
This is my second Julie Garwood book and I found the same amusing charm and wit I enjoyed in The Gift as I did in One Pink Rose. One Pink Rose is a sweet short story that took me a lot longer to read than I originally imagined. With the story focused on Travis escorting Miss Emily to meet the man she agreed to marry, it became a drawn out affair as they traveled on horseback for days…
My first thoughts of the story reminded me of a quaint black and white television movie, the kind you may have watched on a Saturday afternoon. The light-hearted humour lifted the serious determination of Travis and Emily’s quest to follow through on the mission they had both agreed to. All good, except I kept being distracted by other books I was hearing about and that made this story feel like it was going on forever!
Then I hit the 70% mark and boy did the story pick up. No longer distracted by other bright new shiny books with the action now in full swing, the characters had taken on a familiarity strengthening the intensity of the story. Now I was glad I stuck to my guns and kept going when I was tempted to pick up something else because I read the final chapters with a smile and the occasional chuckle.
What I struggled with:
• The long interlude building up to the action
• The action was over before you knew it
What I loved:
• One-eyed Jack, I want to hear his story…definitely a misunderstood man IMO
• Milly, what a wonderful friend!
• Emily’s well thought out arguments and Travis’s equally thought out rebuttals!
Lily’s Rating: 3.5 Stars
- From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L Armentrout - May 27, 2022
- CRIMINAL INTENTIONS: Season One, Episode One: THE CARDIGANS by Cole McCade - May 14, 2022
- Resolve by Susan Fanetti - February 20, 2022
- Rescue by Susan Fanetti - November 12, 2021
- Priestly Sins by Hadley Finn - October 8, 2021
- Tarnished Soul by Beth Flynn - July 16, 2021
- For Lucy by Jewel E. Ann - July 5, 2021
- Black Sunshine by Karina Halle - June 14, 2021
- The Life You Stole by Jewel E. Ann - June 4, 2021
- Redemption by Susan Fanetti - May 28, 2021