The Confessions by Tiffany Reisz
Series: The Original Sinners
Also in this series: The Saint, The Queen, The Scent of Winter: A Novella
Published by 8th Circle Press on Published March 15th 2016
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Buy on Apple Itunes
Three Sinners. Three confessions. And all the dirty little secrets you could possibly desire...
Father Stuart Ballard has been Marcus Stearns’ confessor since the young Jesuit was only eighteen years old. He thought he’d heard every sin the boy had to confess until Marcus uttered those three fateful words: “I met Eleanor.”
So begins the 40-page “The Confession of Marcus Stearns,” a moving coda to the RITA® Award-winning Original Sinners series. Originally published as a limited-edition paperback for the 2014 RT Booklovers' Convention, and available worldwide for the first time.
This collection also includes “The Confession of Eleanor Schreiber,” a companion 36-page story written exclusively for The Confessions.
And, finally, all secrets are revealed in “The Confession of Tiffany Reisz,” an exclusive, in-depth interview.
Let me start with my confession…
Forgive me Sinners, for I hesitated to read The Confessions…because of its size. Yes, I bow my head in shame, I should have never doubted the ability of Ms Reisz to entertain me with her witty writing. I doubted I could be more in awe of Soren and Nora than I already was. Considering this follows the completed series consisting of eight full-length novels and the numerous short stories on Tiff’s website, I anticipated there was not much more to be told that hadn’t already been written. It wasn’t long before I was smiling and revelling in the discovery of this unique view depicting my favourite fictional couple. It drove home again my passion for the Original Sinners series.
Now since I started off by sharing my confession, I might keep going and discretely mention my joy of reading the dictionary occasionally. It usually begins with turning to a random page with the hope of discovering a new word. There’s the hope I’ll be able to use it in a game of scrabble or simply indulge for the sake of learning something new. I had a reason for sharing that random fact because I am keen to share a few of the words that titillated me while I slowly devoured the Ms Reisz’s writing:
Eviscerate, modicum, gams, ostensibly, hymnal, ontological, labyrinth, moxie, venal, Episcopalians, pescatarian and largesse! Not all of the words I looked up were new to me but I was curious to understand exactly how they were being woven into the text. There were so many other words I could have included, but I only began highlighting words when it became obvious I was using my dictionary a little more than usual! The talented storytelling thoroughly entertained me through the richness of language and the frivolity of the characters as they touched on controversial and deeply thought out issues. Never once did I feel short changed by the content of Soren’s, Eleanor’s and Tiffany’s Confessions that collectively added up to a novella.
If you haven’t read this series, please take the opportunity to start with the first book The Siren. My enjoyment was definitely based on the familiarity of the characters and it is meant to be read after The Queen. So what led me to take a chance on this book when I was a little reluctant to pick up in the beginning? Having finished one book and considering what I would read next, I wasn’t in a headspace to tackle anything heavy, nor did I think I would have the energy to start anything new. It had been a big day. From the moment I began eavesdropping on Father Ballard and Soren, I knew I had made the right choice as I was being transported into the world of fiction and my busy day soon was forgone memory. I was delighted to read every idea floated in Ms. Reisz’s confession and hope we hear more of them soon!
What I struggled with:
• The fact I had taken a few days to 1-click and had dared to hesitate at all!
What I loved:
• Fr. Ballard’s youthfulness, compassion and wisdom – So easy to see why Soren sought absolution through him
• Soren allowing his vulnerability and humbleness to surface
• Mellowing people through music! What a wonderful icebreaker
• Reconciling and accepting the differences when absolution could be given
• Digging deep into situations that had occurred in past books that explained why they panned out as they did
• Recognition and the moment it happens.
• The explanations• Tiffany’s candid thoughts on the series and her ideas for possible future stories
5+ Happy Sated Stars
- Tarnished Soul by Beth Flynn - July 16, 2021
- For Lucy by Jewel E. Ann - July 5, 2021
- Black Sunshine by Karina Halle - June 14, 2021
- The Life You Stole by Jewel E. Ann - June 4, 2021
- Redemption by Susan Fanetti - May 28, 2021
- Deal with the Devil by Kit Rocha - August 14, 2020
- Thunder by Susan Fanetti - May 15, 2020
- Pink by Bethany-Kris - May 8, 2020
- Scarlet Stone by Jewel E. Ann - May 1, 2020
- A Place Without You by Jewel E. Ann - April 23, 2020