Something in the Air by Marie Landry
Published by Self-published on November 10, 2015
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Her life hasn't gone as planned, but she's about to realize that sometimes the best things happen when you stop expecting life to be a certain way...
When Rose Morgan put off her college plans to help her mother through a difficult time, she thought it would just be a bump in the road of her journey. She got a job to help pay the bills and started picking up the slack at home. But three years later, her bumpy ride hasn’t smoothed out yet, and Rose feels stuck. She’s working at a job she hates and living with a manipulative mother. She’s tired of feeling like her life has stalled, tired of the resentment and anger building inside her with each passing day.
Then Declan Connelly appears in her life, and even though the hot Irishman is seriously tempting, Rose is determined not to let him in. She’s afraid to suck anyone into her bizarre life, especially someone who seems too charming for his own good. She soon learns there’s more to Declan than his sexy accent and charismatic personality, though. He’s a good man, and he wants Rose in his life, baggage and all. He’s got his own, and he isn’t scared away like she originally feared he would be.
Everything in Rose’s life is changing quickly. It’s finally her time--time to figure out what she wants and what her future holds. Time to get swept off her feet and not fight it. But when her plans might take her away from all the amazing new things in her life, including Declan, Rose has to make a choice. Is she willing to chase her dreams, even if it means letting go of love?
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
A sweet story.
Something in the Air is about Rose, a young woman trapped in a mundane world revolving around work and keeping her manipulative mother company. Her only solace is her good friend and co-worker Dante. Refusing to let Rose sink further into her mother’s clutches, he talks her into a night out and does everything in his power to make sure she doesn’t back out. As one of her favourite customers assures her, something is in the air.
There were references throughout the story to there being something in the air for the people within the café where Rose and Dante worked. I imagined a gentle stream of positive karma floating through the venue seeking out deserved people who were overdue for a good break. My only gripe was the ease of which goodness surrounded the characters lulled me a little more than I like. In other words, if you enjoy a low angst story, this would be for you. There are references to troubled times and situations but they are all in the past and no one seems to be held back by their history when it comes to living a good life.
The new people Rose eventually ends up befriending become her strength and she grows in strength and courage. Finding out the truth behind her parents’ divorce, she no longer hides behind excuses and lies, stepping free.
Although I connected with the characters and enjoyed reading their story, it felt a little too easy and I longed for a little more drama. It wasn’t instant love yet they all fell into line with little complaint or struggle. The story ends in a good place with the potential to continue on or branch off to focus on Dante’s journey. Lots of potential to build on and a good story to reach for if you’re in the mood for a gentle sweet romance.
What I loved:
- Mr Alexander – he was the kind of customer everyone would love to serve
- Dante’s friendship and perseverance
- Declan and Maura – good strong characters
- Connecting with her Dad
- Playlist and link to the Pinterest board at the back of the book 🙂
What I struggled with:
- Would have liked for Rose to have been courted more, he was keen and it would’ve added a dimension to the story I was looking for
- Occasionally the pace of the writing slowed and found myself waiting for it to pick up to again
Lily’s Rating: 3.5 Stars
- Deal with the Devil by Kit Rocha - August 14, 2020
- Thunder by Susan Fanetti - May 15, 2020
- Pink by Bethany-Kris - May 8, 2020
- Scarlet Stone by Jewel E. Ann - May 1, 2020
- A Place Without You by Jewel E. Ann - April 23, 2020
- The Priest: An Original Sinners Novel by Tiffany Reisz - April 19, 2020
- Love Hard by Nalini Singh - March 10, 2020
- Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath - March 3, 2020
- The Weight of it All by N.R. Walker - February 19, 2020
- The Life That Mattered by Jewel E Ann - February 14, 2020