Collateral by Callie Hart
Series: Blood & Roses #6
Published by Self-published on October 12, 2014
Genres: Contemporary Romance, Suspense
Buy on Amazon
Available on KU at posting: Yes
The final instalment of Zeth & Sloane's story is here!
With Lacey missing and everything falling apart, Sloane and Zeth will do everything they can to get her back. If that includes facing off against Charlie Holsan, the DEA, and anyone else who gets in their way, then so be it.
Faced with heartbreak, danger, and the increasing need to protect the ones he loves, Zeth Mayfair is finally realizing what it means to have a family. With her fears coming full circle, Sloane must learn that forgiveness is the only way to move forward.
Great ending to a compelling series!
Far from a fairytale, yet that’s exactly what I was thinking as Sloane walked out in her Irish-green silk dress Zeth picked for her. The big hint that the ending wasn’t going to be smooth sailing was the title Collateral. I was anxious as to who or what that collateral would be. I had a list of expendable characters that I was willing to let go of but I was pretty sure that my list wasn’t finite…
I. Can’t. Breathe.
The suspense continued right until the end, leaving me unsure of who to trust. There were ones that I did put my faith in that let me down. When the people you can trust are no longer clear, options become limited. Everything is on the line for Zeth, Sloane and all the others that were connected to them.
“What? We have to go? Why?” “Because.” He kisses me lightly, his mouth lingering on mine. “The clock’s already struck twelve. That’s how most fairytales go, right? The beautiful young woman has to leave before the end of the ball?”
For all the brutality and struggles that has played out in the Blood & Roses series there was a lot of beauty in Collateral. Not everything was wrapped up and tied with a pretty bow, there were a few situations left untold or unresolved. Callie explains why she did this and it made sense.
“Don’t go looking for trouble,” I whisper. He gives me that wicked smirk of his. I knew from the very beginning that smirk was going to be the ruin of me.
As a series, this has been brilliant. I started it when only Deviant and Fractured were available to read and found that I needed to go back and refresh my memory before continuing with Burn. Reading the 6 books one after the other only enhanced this series IMO. Each book left you with a cliffy or to be continued at the very least.
What I loved:
- Zeth, his suppressed smiles, kisses and hugs. A very entertaining H
- Sloane, she pushed her boundaries and never gave up on herself. A good strong h
- Lacey – vulnerable, sweet and unpredictable
- Michael – the best guy to have by your side – His story is begging to be told, he can’t be all work, no play surely 😉
- Rebel – he had me curious, I am looking forward to reading about the Widow Makers MC
- The covers on the individual books …kudos to whoever had the final say!
What I struggled with:
- Is what made this story so good. The losses and unpredictability of key characters had me shaking my head at their choices
- The abuse flashbacks, pivotal to the story but always hard to read
Review: 5 Stars
- From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L Armentrout - May 27, 2022
- CRIMINAL INTENTIONS: Season One, Episode One: THE CARDIGANS by Cole McCade - May 14, 2022
- Resolve by Susan Fanetti - February 20, 2022
- Rescue by Susan Fanetti - November 12, 2021
- Priestly Sins by Hadley Finn - October 8, 2021
- Tarnished Soul by Beth Flynn - July 16, 2021
- For Lucy by Jewel E. Ann - July 5, 2021
- Black Sunshine by Karina Halle - June 14, 2021
- The Life You Stole by Jewel E. Ann - June 4, 2021
- Redemption by Susan Fanetti - May 28, 2021