Hold by Claire Kent
Series: Hold #1
Published by Self-published on February 24, 2015
Genres: Science Fiction
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Find the strongest man there. Give yourself to him in return for protection. It’s the only way you’ll ever survive.
Convicted of a minor crime, Riana is sentenced to a prison planet—a dark primitive hold filled with convicts vying for power. Her only chance of survival is with Cain, a mysterious loner who has won his territory in the prison through intelligence and brute strength. Sex is all she has to offer, so she uses it. She’s under no delusions here. No one is ever released, and no one ever escapes. Survival is all she can hope for—until Cain.
An earlier version of this book was published under the same title and a different penname by Ellora’s Cave. It has since been substantially revised and expanded.
Holy Sexy Alpha yumminess! This is a relatively short futuristic romance with what will probably be one of my most memorable alpha characters ever in it. Riana is convicted of trespassing of all things and sent to a prison planet where the criminals are thrown in a hold and left to their own devices.
There’s not a lot of world building in this book. It starts out on the prison planet, with a guard telling her to find the strongest man and give herself to him for protection. She bypasses the obvious choice and gambles on Cain. I think Cain may just be the perfect Alpha H. No angst or OTT drama from this man, instead, you get an alpha in survival mode and Cain worked the stoic alpha angle extremely well. Since they are basically trapped on a prison planet with not a lot to do there, a large portion of this book is filled with some hot and sexy times with Cain fighting to protect his woman thrown in.
Will this book make my top ten list for the year? Probably not, but it’s a guilty pleasure I am really glad I read that was perfect for the mood I was in.
Rating: 4 Guilty Pleasure stars
- Ancient Enemy by Katie Reus - August 25, 2020
- Losing It All by Kati Wilde - August 10, 2020
- Pivot by Kat Martin, Alexandra Ivy, & Rebecca Zanetti - July 22, 2020
- The Unseen by Thea Harrison - July 16, 2020
- Desolation Road by Christine Feehan - July 7, 2020
- Healing of the Wolf by Cherise Sinclair - July 3, 2020
- Ancient Protector by Katie Reus - June 29, 2020
- Lone Star by Lauren Gilley - June 5, 2020
- Dream Maker by Kristen Ashley - May 26, 2020
- Prodigal Son by Lauren Gilley - May 20, 2020