Shadow & Soul by Susan Fanetti
Published by Freak Circle Press on March 14, 2015
Genres: Biker / MC
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Michael “Demon” Van Buren is an enforcer with the Night Horde SoCal. He is a man tormented by his past, by the beast that lurks in his soul. He wants nothing more than to have love and a family, to be a good father to his young son, to have a home. But the experiences of his life have warped him, and he despairs of ever having, or deserving, the chance.
Demon met Faith Fordham when they were young—when she was quite young. The daughter of the former club’s Sergeant at Arms, Faith set her sights on the Prospect with the romance-hero eyes, and she didn’t care that her father, and her age, had made her off limits. As captivated by her as she was by him, and a slave to his impulses, Demon, too, ignored the dangers of loving the SAA’s forbidden daughter.
It ended in the only way it could. They were torn apart, lost to each other. Losing everything.
Ten years later, Faith comes home to a place she’d never lived, and Demon, darker now than ever, is there.
Note: explicit sex and violence.
Wow, Shadow & Soul was not an easy story to read and it may have some triggers for some. For me, it told the story of two people that had a rough start in life, through different aspects but never the less neither was ideal. As always there is the contrast of bad and good in a story making reading it an overall rewarding experience.
Faith and Demon had been forced apart before in a barbarous display of family/club discipline. Fast forward 10 years and the past is still influencing their lives. An unexpected family emergency brings Faith back home and in touch with Deme as well as the Night Horde once again. The familiarity of the club is virtually gone for her but not entirely.
Lots of angst and revelations that brought so much to life. I got a bit frustrated at times being dragged back by memories but without them the story would not have been as good as it was. A lot of the decisions seemed harsh but as the memories and back story was told it evoked a lot more compassion than I expected. This is not for the faint of heart. It deals with issues that may be a trigger for some. This review is a little light because I was so caught up in the Night Horde, that I literally closed one book, picked up the next and then was so happy to see it would be about Nolan.
What I loved:
- Getting the full story behind their forbidden love
- Sly the cat, dark and yet loveable in a strange sort of way…this felt familiar
- The love Deme had for his son
- How Deme refers to his lawyer
- Discovering that all is not what it seems
- The visit to the farm – what being a family is all about
- The brotherhood Mus
What I struggled with:
- The backtracking into the past through ‘memories’ at the time but so glad they were included
- The bitterness and unfairness that drove them apart initially
- The abuse, never easy to read about…
- Tough love that forced a decision no one should be made to make
Lily’s Rating: 5 Stars
- From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L Armentrout - May 27, 2022
- CRIMINAL INTENTIONS: Season One, Episode One: THE CARDIGANS by Cole McCade - May 14, 2022
- Resolve by Susan Fanetti - February 20, 2022
- Rescue by Susan Fanetti - November 12, 2021
- Priestly Sins by Hadley Finn - October 8, 2021
- Tarnished Soul by Beth Flynn - July 16, 2021
- For Lucy by Jewel E. Ann - July 5, 2021
- Black Sunshine by Karina Halle - June 14, 2021
- The Life You Stole by Jewel E. Ann - June 4, 2021
- Redemption by Susan Fanetti - May 28, 2021