Return to Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia
Series: The Poughkeepsie Brotherhood #2
Also in this series: Poughkeepsie, Poughkeepsie Begins
Published by Omnific Publishing on December 28th 2013
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Barnes & Noble
Buy on Walmart/Kobo
Buy on Google Play
Beckett Taylor is a murderer. His calling, his craft are destruction and intimidation—whether he wants it that way now or not. He left Poughkeepsie to keep his brothers safe, to keep Eve safe. Set up with happy lives to live, they’re better off without him, right?
But all his willpower crumbles when he hears his brother Blake’s frantic voice on the phone. An unknown enemy has moved in on his old territory, and Livia’s been taken. In an instant, Beckett knows it will take an attack only he and Eve can execute to bring her back. All his self-imposed embargoes are torn to shreds, perhaps along with the new man he’s struggled to become.
“Brother, call Eve. I’ll be there soon.”
In this emotional and action-packed sequel to Poughkeepsie, Debra Anastasia conjures a tale of love at its most raw and ragged. With Beckett and Eve, how could we expect anything less? But even when it’s messy, not magical, true love perseveres. Real love finds a way—for better or for worse until death does part.
Debra Anastasia won me over with the first book in this series and I couldn’t wait to dive straight into Return to Poughkeepsie. The story is paced considerably slower compared to Poughkeepsie #1, but that’s to be expected. This series must be read in order, so if you haven’t read Poughkeepsie yet, stop reading this now!
When the McHugh girls, Livia and Kyle had barreled into his brothers’ lives everything fell into place for them. Only Beckett was left behind as king of the bloodiest mountain, both ruler and prisoner of all he possessed.
Return to Poughkeepsie is the continuing story of Becket and the guys, having all decided to live the quiet life. Becket is a wanted man and decides he needs to be exiled from his chosen family and especially Eve. For that to happen, he starts life afresh, in a new place, staying under the radar through trying to live the simple life.
“Even though it was tremendously screwed up, he was kind of like a dad.”
“Probably the best example either of us ever had, murdering aside, of course.”
Meanwhile, his brothers and Eve are getting on with life. They miss him, it’s like a ghost is amongst them and it’s not until trouble really hits the fan they realize how much he is missed. The plot is much more than Beckett and Eve. If anything they are apart more than they are together in this book. The story focuses on how Cole, Blake and the girls are getting on. A few new characters come into play and the fine line between the good guys and bad guys gradually becomes a blur.
She pulled her favorite knife from where it was strapped to her thigh next to another. Twirled her hair into a bun and slid her knife into it, meeting his gaze when it was set. Eve was magnificent. Every dam time.
Some battles need to be fought and extreme situations call for extreme measures. They all have a role to play in life and the sooner they realise this the better. I was again wrapped up in their lives through out and as much as I relished being back in their world, it was the return of the fast paced writing that I really enjoyed once the action kicked back in again.
What I loved:
- Eve’s raw energy, gutsy style and skills. I could almost ‘see’ her in action! Impressive
- Cole’s genuine faith and his ability to express himself so openly without imposing his beliefs upon others
- Blake’s unrelenting devotion to Livia
- Mouse – his cameo- priceless
- Beckett – no matter what, he’s true to the ones that need him. Stepped up and was worthy from the moment he committed himself IMO
- Gandhi – imperfections and all, he got out the best in people. A worthy risk.
What I had trouble with:
- It was a little slow to start with, but not a big struggle
- Thought there needed to be more story included with Beckett and Eve, but I think we’re going to be given that in the next book.
Rating: 4.5 almost 5 Stars
- Deal with the Devil by Kit Rocha - August 14, 2020
- Thunder by Susan Fanetti - May 15, 2020
- Pink by Bethany-Kris - May 8, 2020
- Scarlet Stone by Jewel E. Ann - May 1, 2020
- A Place Without You by Jewel E. Ann - April 23, 2020
- The Priest: An Original Sinners Novel by Tiffany Reisz - April 19, 2020
- Love Hard by Nalini Singh - March 10, 2020
- Waking Up With the Duke by Lorraine Heath - March 3, 2020
- The Weight of it All by N.R. Walker - February 19, 2020
- The Life That Mattered by Jewel E Ann - February 14, 2020