Inky by J.B. Hartnett
Series: The Leaves #1
Also in this series: Cole
Published by Self-published on January 14, 2014
Buy on Amazon
Available on KU at posting: Yes
Anika “Inky” Redding is passionate about two things; her love of painting and her fiancé Evan. While working as a bartender to pay her bills, she meets Cole, a sexy divorcee. She denies their mutual attraction and tries to put him out of her mind.
When an abusive person from her childhood makes an unexpected visit, Inky’s world is turned upside down. Secrets are revealed and truths are exposed leaving Inky devastated and questioning what she thought was love. As she picks up the pieces and tries to move on, she finds her path crosses with Cole once again and this time, she cannot deny the passion between them.
Once she opens her heart again, will she be able to move forward or will her past find a way to stop her?
Luckily, I wasn’t expecting light and fluffy…
Inky is the second book I have read by this author, so I knew she had the power to rip my guts out and slowly put me back together. When I bought this book I was still on my fangirling high from reading Genevieve Clare and didn’t read the blurb or reviews. I probably should have. I spent half of this book not particularly liking the hero or to some extent the heroine. Then things started to become clearer and I settled in for the ride.
There was a very dark undertone to this story with subjects that may be a trigger for some. The heroine grew up in an abusive home where she was frequently attacked by her Mother and her Mother’s boyfriend. Some things are discussed which made me uncomfortable, but not enough to stop me from going on. Our hero (the real one) didn’t come out of his childhood unscathed either. Lots of darkness and nastiness this couple has had to face before they even met each other.
This book has been left with a cliffhanger, but we have a very generous author who doesn’t rip us off to keep going. I’ve already bought the next installment, for the bargain price of $0.82. Thanks, Ms. Hartnett for giving me my guts back…let’s hope they stay where they are for Cole.
Rating: 4 Stars
- Dreamer’s Pool by Juliet Marillier - October 23, 2015
- All I Want by Jill Shalvis - October 21, 2015
- Lev: a Shot Callers novel by Belle Aurora - October 19, 2015
- Ella by Virginia Taylor - October 16, 2015
- Rock Redemption by Nalini Singh - October 5, 2015
- Athica Lane by Brynne Asher - September 25, 2015
- Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye - September 24, 2015
- Heart-Shaped Hack by Tracey Garvis-Graves - September 23, 2015
- Unlikely Love by Riann C Miller - September 20, 2015
- The Seduction of Lord Stone by Anna Campbell - September 19, 2015